Okay..Okay…I have been slightly obsessed with pumpkin flavoured food/drinks lately so whats better then some delicious pumpkin bread?! I remember a couple weeks ago I went to the store and stocked up on 10+ pumpkin flavoured things…a little crazy? I know!
Surprisingly I have never had pumpkin bread before so when I chose to make my own recipe for it…I was a little hesitant. Needless to say, it was a bit hard.
After multiple failed attempts I finally perfected the taste and consistency. Both are key components into making a perfect baked good! I found a quote that represents the process I took spot on, Tom Douglas stated, “If you don’t have the confidence in baking, commit to making the recipe three times. The first two, do it exactly the way I’ve told you to make it. Twice. The first time you’ll screw it up. The second time it will come out pretty good, and then the third time, make your adjustments.” (brainyquote.com). That definitely was the case, because in no way did it come out perfect the first time.
The first time: didn’t cook all the way through, okay taste.
2nd time: too moist/soggy, but tasted very good.
3rd time: perfect moistness while still being fluffy & delicious.
What did I learn from that? Cook at a lower temp but longer. That way the bread won’t just cook on the outside but be able to cook on the inside as well. Seems like I should of known that, but baking is a process. Also, putting too many liquids into the bread makes it too moist. So I omitted the coconut oil on my 2nd attempt and substituted vegan butter on my 3rd, it made it perfect!
Baking sure is a process and you will fail, many times, but the end result is always worth it!
Okay, enough with the rambling. Here is the recipe for this delicious, moist & fluffy pumpkin bread that will warm your soul up in the fall time! Perfect paired with a warm cup of hot chocolate or coffee 🙂
Vegan Pumpkin Bread
By: healthienut Serves: 8 or 1 small loaf
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup sugar (Any sugar works fine but I prefer coconut sugar)
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 flax egg (1.5 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 tbsp of water)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees. (weird temp. but trust me it matters)
- Make flax egg by combining ground flax seed and water. Let it sit for 5 min. in fridge.
- While flax egg is setting, combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Using a stand mixer or handheld electric mixer, mix the butter and sugar together in a smaller separate bowl. Then add the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Slowly add in the wet ingredients into the dry. Using a spatula, combine.
- The batter should be slightly stick, but not at all like a dough.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 40-50 min, checking half way through. Insert a toothpick and it should come out clean if done.
- Let it sit in the loaf pan for 15 min. Take it out and let it sit out for another 15 min. Slice, and enjoy!
*Oat flour is always so expensive to buy so just simply grind up rolled oats in a food processor or coffee grinder until its a flour-like consistency.
“Baking Quotes.” BrainyQuote. Xplore, n.d. Web. Accessed on 16 Oct. 2016. at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/baking.html